Friday, 22 December 2017

Scratch Level 4 - Create Your Own Game

Space Breakout
Cedric Pulmano



https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/192126679/#editor

1. One issue is how the ball bounced funny, like how sometimes it would go through the paddle. I was unsure what was wrong, so I went to another game that is similar to mine and looked at the code. I also looked at my older game, the Pong remix. This helped a lot, for it helped me solve my problem, by comparing codes. The problem was that I underestimated the usefulness of broadcasting. The way the ball bounced off enemies was incorrect too, but after a lot of experimenting, I managedto fix it as well.

2. I used two games for reference for my game.  Space Invaders - https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/1979494/ Atari Breakout -  https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/11007566/
My game is essentially a mix of both. My game is different, for I created my own background and most characters on Photoshop. The paddle and ball idea comes from Breakout, and the enemies and shooting came from the idea of Space Invaders, but I tried to do most of the coding without looking at the other games. I did read over some of the other game's code to fix my game, but I did not copy things line for line, if it was not necessary. I made sure to understand what I was putting in my game, so I would not get confused later on.

3. Cameron told me that I should make the ball and paddle smaller, so the game could be a bit more difficult. It was an easy fix to resize objects, so I followed. Other than that, my other beta-testers Justin and Henry said the game was good, and gave suggestions that I had no time to do.

4. I think I would put powerups into my game, for that would make the game more interesting with the outcomes. The code for how the ball bounces, I believe could be improved as well, for the ball bounces at a definite angle no matter where it hits on an enemy. The ball bounces towards the paddle, no matter if the ball bounces from the top of the enemy, the side, or bottom. Overall, I think my game is okay.

1 comment:

  1. I like this combination of ideas; very cool. Blog post 10/10; game 27/30.

    ReplyDelete

Final Project - Complete!

Final Project - Complete! Cedric Pulmano https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b04c0ZpBdCjS6BAU8aA_ET3v_I8ZeADH https://drive.google.co...