Scratch Level 2 - Racing Game
Cedric Pulmano
https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/187255551/
1. Some programming difficulties I had was that I had a tough time trying to program the countdown, for players could move their car while the countdown was still ticking. Thankfully, when Justin and Cameron played my game, they told me that I needed to send out a message to the code when the countdown is over, replacing it with the "When green flag is pressed" command, and I followed them and fixed it. I attempted to make highscores global, but it somehow, until now, is not working. Also, when playing, I realized the timer was going on while the countdown was playing. I easily fixed it by making the timer go when it receives the message to go off when the countdown is finished. Cameron also managed to cheat while testing the gameplay, and when I read over the code I used to prevent the cheating, I noticed one of the important points had the wrong sign (<, >,) so I fixed it, and totally wrecked him the next game, only to prove that cheaters never win! (Except maybe once, if game has bad code.) >:)
2. I added a countdown, for sometimes people when playing my game, get an upper hand by going right away while their opponent was not ready. I simply did so by making a sprite with four costumes, saying 3, 2, 1, and start, and changing their costumes at a one second interval. I had to make this sprite send a message after saying "start," and once that message was sent was when, and only when, the code for movement was activated, to prevent cheaters going before the countdown finished. I made my game two players, by copying the whole code from my first sprite, onto my second sprite. I changed the costume, and made a separate speed and laps variable, and different controls for both sprites, so each player controls themselves. I made the game to look like it was in space, by making the colours associate with space. The racetrack was used with an ellipse and a rectangle, by erasing some of the rectangle and fitting the ellipse in, so there would be both straightaways and turns. The timer would not also be up to speed with actual timers for some reason, for I made it wait 0.1 seconds to change 0.1 time, but it would still be more delayed than actual time in seconds. So, I named it Time (In Alien), so I would not be wrong, while not being correct to what I aimed for. Overall, I had lots of fun with Scratch, and defeating Cameron.
Good job. I like the whole space theme of the game, I though that was pretty creative. One bug is the timer, technically you're not wrong using alien time... but it's still a bug you can fix.
ReplyDelete29/30
- Mr Chen